Sunday, November 4, 2018

Beautiful Day, Lakeway, Wrecks and Injuries and Support to Two Area Businesses!

It's been a beautiful day in the neighborhood!  I hope you were able to get out and enjoy it for a while.  The flood gates are down to two and Lake Travis is down to 683.74 as I write this blog.  About 3 feet to go to full!

I thought I would start out today talking about Lakeway.  We moved here in 1988 - quite a while back and have roots here from the late 60's when my Aunt bought a lot and built a house.  Some of the things we loved were no garbage cans on the curb, no junk cars, no boats stored in driveways, and speed limits that were observed by the residents.  These things happened because of strict ordinances enforced by Lakeway.  The city has grown significantly since then, but it's still a great city.  

I noticed a flare up on social media about a code enforcement person "went into my house and took pictures without permission".  I don't know any more than anyone else on this - but here's my take for what it's worth:

1)  I find it amazing that a code officer would just barge in and I don't have any evidence except hearsay that it happened.
2)  I didn't need a permit - only tile work.  Again hearsay - I've heard he now has a permit (that wasn't necessary?) again more second hand rumor.
3)  Two other rumors, he came in for no reason & he was answering a complaint from a neighbor.
4)  I've also heard that someone did a FOIA request and got Steve Jones personal history file from Pflugerville (1980's) - I wonder if they got his yearbook too.
5)  There's another rumor that the code officer has gotten threats.

Really folks, this is incredible.  The knee jerk reaction to perceived issues on social media is not helpful or healthy.  If there was a law broken, the police will investigate and handle it.  If you have a legitimate complaint, file it with Building and Development or the police - if it is not handled in a timely manner, call the city manager, the mayor or a council member.  Where has civility gone?

Here is a link to the city's statement.
---------------------------
The Statesman reports that a bicyclist was seriously injured near Lohmans Crossing and 620 about 5:45 AM.  Please be careful and watch out for cyclists in the area - especially when lighting is poor.  This gentleman worked at Randall's and is reported on life support.  The driver left the scene and was apprehended by Lakeway Police.  Please keep him in your prayers.

Some of you might know our puppy was diagnosed with congestive heart failure a few weeks ago.  I bring this up because the care that Lakeway Vet has given us has been overwhelming.  Having a 24 hour vet in the area has certainly been a godsend and we are lucky to have Dr. Doyle and his office take on this task.  If you need a vet, please consider Lakeway Vet, 512-263-2134 - their service and caring is absolutely outstanding!

A Baylor Scott and White Marble Falls physician, Dr. Michael James Babineneux died after a pickup truck struck his vehicle on Texas 71 near Serene Hills Dr.  Please keep his family in your prayers.  According the the DPS report the driver of the pickup was using the center turn lane to pass another car in front of him.  

In some good news, O'Neill's Pools and Hot Tubs were named in the top 50 pool and spa service ranking.  It's good to see a local business do good!  Congratulations!

November 10th the Lakeway Swim center will host another Worldwide Aquathon Day with instructor Terri Mitchell.  First session starts at 11 AM - this event is free of charge!  Here is a link to more info.  Check it out - I plan to take some pictures.


I have one more shameless referral of a business in Lakeway - Dr. Rhodes at Lake Travis Eye and Laser center does a wonderful job.  If you need an ophthalmologist he's the guy.  He did wonderful work for my wife and is doing cataract surgery on me in the next couple of weeks.  I'll keep you posted on how it turns out - tell him I sent you!

Don't forget the Veteran's Day Ceremony at 3:30 PM in Lake Travis ISD's Performing Arts Center.  The guest speaker will be Anna Baker of the Texas Veterans Commission.

The Public Engagement Advisory Committee meets on November 6th from 1 PM to 3:30 PM at the City Hall.  Here is a link to that agenda.

Zoning and Planning will meet Wednesday the 7th at 9:15 AM at City Hall.  Here is a link to that agenda.

The Wildlife Advisory Committee meets November 8th at 6:30 PM in the City Hall.

The Parks and Recreation Committee meets Tuesday, November 6 at 6:30 PM.  Here is their agenda.

And finally, Council will meet in special session Wednesday, November 7th at 2:00 PM.  Here is that agenda.

That's all for now.  Just a note to the council candidate that tried to harass me while I was in my front yard - I will not be intimidated by your actions.  Please learn to be civil.

If you would like to be added (or removed) from my email list - please send a note to lakeway@bain.us and I'll get it done.  Thanks for all the continued support!  I'll be glad when this election is over!!  As always, questions and email's are almost always answered - I love Lakeway!

Joe Bain
lakeway@bain.us













2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe! 2 code enforement workers walked into my house on March 15th 2017while I was out of state on spring break. They rattled my contractor until he let them in. They walked past my daughter's room into the master bedroom to take pictures of my masterbath project. I received a letter 2 weeks later that they 'had observed' my project. I filed a police report. The police report states that the officer called BDS then suggested I resolve the problem with BDS!? This sounds like a complete coverup to me. They did not want to deal with me or my complaints. They did not direct me to any other outside person to resolve my issue. This blantant disregard for Lakeway Citizens and homeowners is unacceptable!. The City of Lakeway needs to change now. I would welcome your communication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I was Mayor at the time and never received a communication on this issue. I have a couple of questions.

    Did the project require a permit? Was a permit obtained. What was the complete expanse of the project?

    Some projects do not require a permit. Most plumbing does require a permit. If a contractor was uncomfortable about letting someone in, he should have made a complaint.

    I don't have any input anymore on this but if you would like to continue the conversation please email me at lakeway@bain.us.

    ReplyDelete