Monday, September 30, 2019

Good News, Bad News?, My Take and Calendar Pre-Order


*****Good News*****

The good news - we've received about .25 (1/4) inch of rain in the last couple of days - not a drought buster, but enough to take the edge off.  Just a slight chance of rain for the rest of the week.  National Night Out looks pretty good!  Get out and meet your neighbors and talk to our local police - get to know them!

*****Bad News?*****

The Bad news?  Your city council met today and raised your taxes - just a little, but never the less raised the Lakeway taxes.  Raised it by about 3.3%.  Two council members pontificated when it came time to pass the state required language that says the taxes are going to bring in more tax money than last year.  They said it's for the good of the city.  Surely my Social Security will go up at least 3.3% to make up for the difference......

*****My Take*****

 I worked for the good of the city for many years and I generally would do what it takes to make sure everything that needed to be done was done.  one thing though, I despised wasting tax payer money.  I have a different opinion than council on a few items that caused the taxes to go up - that is my right.  When you carry over nearly a million and a half dollars from the previous year, increase the amount of sales tax dollars and add nearly two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in new money, the amount of money the 3.4% tax increase could have been reduced.  

We must learn to live within our means.  A couple of more years and we will be above the cut out made for small cities on the State Tax Rule passed in the last session.  The new construction will fall off, the city is approaching build out and the expansive growth that we are experiencing will end.  

Our city staff does a wonderful job of keeping expenses to a minimum with the proper guidance.  Lets stay Lakeway - I don't want to be Austin!
**********

I again want to thank everyone for the great support on the Calendar contest that Bella was in.  Please pre-order the calendar at this link.  10$ from the sale of each calendar will be split between two Lakeway animal rescues right here in Lakeway.  They will make good Christmas Gifts!

Lakeway Church Construction 9-30-2019
They started real work over at the Lakeway Church today.  Although I hate to see the trees go, it is making way for a great new Sanctuary.  As you can see in the photo, they were hard at work today clearing the property for the new construction.  Click on the picture for a larger image.

 That's all for today, I hope you are enjoying your Monday!  Get out and enjoy NNO tomorrow.  If you want to be added to my email list, send a note to lakeway@bain.us and I'll get it done.

Joe Bain
lakeway@bain.us


No comments:

Post a Comment